From Entertainment Weekly's year-end issue:
"THE GERTRUDE STEIN AWARD FOR THE PROMOTION OF LESBIANISM IN THE FAMILY
HOUR: Willow and Tara's levitating sapphic shenanigans on UPN's 8 o'clock
drama 'Buffy the Vampire Slayer'."
I
From Entertainment Weekly's year-end issue:
"THE GERTRUDE STEIN AWARD FOR THE PROMOTION OF LESBIANISM IN THE FAMILY
HOUR: Willow and Tara's levitating sapphic shenanigans on UPN's 8 o'clock
drama 'Buffy the Vampire Slayer'."
I
------------------
This mummy hand has ceased to BE! It is an EX-mummy hand!
I
[This message has been edited by xita (edited December 15, 2001).]
I
quote:
Originally posted by xita:
Willow and Tara's levitating sapphic shenanigans on UPN's 8 o'clock
drama 'Buffy the Vampire Slayer'."
Nothing like a good old sapphic shenanigan.
I
I
and i haven't read the EW yet. guess i should now huh?
edited to add: cool to see BTVS as 2 best of the year.
[This message has been edited by Rane (edited December 15, 2001).]
I
Someone help me...
I
All those sapphic shenanigans
Made us love Miss Hannigan
Fer shure.
I bet Gertrude was um...'weeping'...
------------------
"You evil bitch troll from hell!" ~ Patsy Stone
I
Kidding of course, I'm not really big with the butch...ask anyone.------------------
Bloody hell, sodding, limey, shagging, knickers, bollocks...oh God...I'm English
I
I
------------------
"You evil bitch troll from hell!" ~ Patsy Stone
I
quote:
Originally posted by tommo:
I bet Gertrude was um...'weeping'...
Actually it was more like she was getting in the holiday spirit and doing her impression of the Little Drummer Girl. A queer one indeed, that Gertrude, ever marching to her own gaily sung little tune.
------------------
This mummy hand has ceased to BE! It is an EX-mummy hand!
I
I
I
EW had now recognized buffy as the #2 show, the #2 tv moment of the year plus they singled out our girls in their magazine.
That gets a big
I

Nicole
I
I
so if anyone's interested: http://www.ew.com/ew/features/011223/ye ... esttv.html
here's the blurb:
BUFFY THE VAMPIRE SLAYER (UPN)
In a calendar year's worth of emotional episodes that saw the death of Buffy's mother, the death and resurrection of Buffy herself, and a musical production that put most contemporary Broadway efforts to shame, the Slayer's fiercest battle continues to be against that old TV shibboleth, Industry Respect. No matter; wise, stern creator Joss Whedon still forces us to go where we may not want to venture, but are ultimately always glad we did: Alyson Hannigan's Willow gone witchcraft-crazy; James Marsters' Spike gone soft for Buffy; Nicholas Brendon's Xander and Emma Caulfield's Anya picking out wedding china patterns. Oh, the horror, the exquisite horror!
----------------------
and hopefully more good news coming soon with golden globes announcement in less than 1:30...
edited to add that's on Ken "I always liked him better" Tucker's list. On Frett's list, Buffy doesn't even rank. But two of her direct timeslot competitors do (unlike on Tucker's) maybe Frett was trying to spread the love a little...
I
#9 "Once More, with Feeling," Buffy the Vampire Slayer (UPN)
You could apply the title of this audacious musical episode to the whole season of Buffy, which survived an acrimonious move from the WB to return smarter, funnier and dramatically richer than ever. Who'd have thought creator Joss Whedon (who taught himself piano to write the episode's surprisingly tuneful score, as well as the nimble lyrics) studied his Sondheim along with his sarcophagi?
I
I
THE BEST, but not the easiest to watch.
In it, death came to the vampire slayers house as suddenly and as unexpectedly as it comes to many others. Buffy (who is, for all her vampire-fighting prowess, supposed to be just a young college student) came home to find her mother, whod earlier had surgery for a brain tumor, dead on the living-room couch.
From there, the script moved through all the wretched, painful, human stages that are familiar to anyone whos lost someone.
Capable Buffy, stuttering and clinging to the 911 operators voice. A short fantasy sequence in which Buffy imagines that paramedics are able to perform a miracle and bring her mother back to life. The desperation of her vampire-hunting friends, the Scooby Gang, as they struggle to be there for a friend who is, for the moment, beyond any help they can offer.
One such powerful episode would have been enough for most shows to rest on all season long, but Buffy isnt most shows.
A few months after Buffy lost her mother, she was forced to sacrifice her own life to save her sister Dawn. That couldnt last forever - the shows not called Dawn, the Vampire Slayers Sister - so Buffy was brought back.
But again: Not that simple. Her desperate friends pulled her out of what they thought was hell, but the audience soon learned that the new Buffy was keeping a secret. Shed actually been ripped away from heaven, and wasnt sure shed ever get over the loss.
For all those reasons (not to mention the daring and catchy all-musical episode that aired this fall), Buffy the Vampire Slayer is my show of the year.
I
------------------
Dark Sheep Mysterioso
10/19/01: [Ep 9: Smashed]I danced at the Bronze.
I
yay for EW for recognizing buffy. i get all smiley when magazines mention it, as no one here at home watches buffy, much less has any knowledge of its existence!
and sapphic shenanigans is a cute phrase. much better than that article about Shannen Doherty that said shennenigans.
I
*******************************
DETROIT NEWS--TV TOP 10
By Tom Long
Any discussion of the past year's top television shows has to start with HBO's Sunday night lineup of The Sopranos, Six Feet Under and Sex and the City. Luckily, it doesn't have to end there.
The quality of the premium cable channel's Sunday lineup -- easily the best on TV -- has, happily, driven the major networks into a competitive creative frenzy that has resulted in some of the best free programing in the history of the medium, including a number of promising new shows. Ceding top honors to HBO then, the 10 best shows on major network prime-time TV in 2001 are:
1. Buffy the Vampire Slayer (8 p.m. Tues., UPN): Last season's story arc on the WB, which saw Buffy die at the end, was the best-written in the show's history, and this season's love affair between the reborn Buffster and bad boy vampire Spike is throwing off major sparks. A fantasy show that deals with both the mythic and personal, always including humor and humanity. And November's musical episode was the best hour of television this year.
*****************************************
Edited to add: Hello, Mods! Perhaps this thread should be renamed "Year End Kudos" or something as it includes references from a few publications now? A ton of Top 10 lists will be coming out in the next week.
[This message has been edited by Willowlicious (edited December 28, 2001).]
I

------------------
"if you throw a stone, something's gonna shatter somewhere. We're all so fragile, we're all so scared."
Convention review site
I
------------------
"Bitter, party of one. Bitter, party of one." she muttered... ~ Four Months After by Capt. Murdock
I
I
[This message has been edited by Saena (edited December 30, 2001).]
I
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 37 guests