Skip to content


BTVS Comics: A review of sorts

DO NOT POST - BACKUP IN PROGRESS

BTVS Comics: A review of sorts

Postby drlloyd11 » Mon Mar 25, 2002 7:29 pm

A short while ago I had the opportunity of meeting Chrisopher Golden at a gaming/scifi shop in Cambridge. He is the author of the Watchers guide, some of the Buffy books and comics. There he revealed Tara would be added to the comics in issue 29 (issue 28 just came out), he would be doing a story with Terry Moore (Strangers in Paradise) and Amber herself. In addition a Willow/Tara valentines story on appears on Feb 7.
Because of this and a few other reasons I decided to give the comics another chance. The first few issue were really bad in characterization (an early cover had Willow, Buffy and Cordy in a slumber party pillow fight). Given the new developments I picked up a few issues and I have to say I am encouraged about getting some vicarious W/T from the comics.
The charactes and art are better, and dialog has the snap of the show now (Joss is supposedly begining to supervise the comics, and Douglas Petrie is writing some).
One really nifty conceit is the periodic use of flashbacks of Willow and Xanders childhood. These flashbacks are used to sort of illistrate the back ground behind a interaction (showing their way they can work togther). Typcialy would be Willows Mom telling her not be Jane to Xanders Tarzan , then showing her standing up to him on an issue in the present.
To set it off, the flashback pages are done in a bright Manga style, very cute.
I'll try to post some pages if anyone wants to see it.
The comics seem to be improving, and it may be the only way to see smoochies , this season at least..
Dr Lloyd

I

drlloyd11
 


BTVS Comics: A review of sorts

Postby Unregistered(d) » Mon Mar 25, 2002 7:30 pm

I've seen three of the comics. A friend of mine has read many others. The earliest one I saw was issue #12, and it wasn't bad at all.

The thing that bugged me most was the fact that they seemed stuck in Season 3 for a long time. The one Season 4 issue I saw didn't have Tara in it, and Willow seemed more like a junior Dana Scully than anything else. Now that they're starting to add Tara, that little problem will probably go away.

I

Unregistered(d)
 


BTVS Comics: A review of sorts

Postby Unregistered(d) » Mon Mar 25, 2002 7:30 pm

hey drlloyd!
thanks for the info. I was reading over a few of the old comics and they weren't that interesting. Hopefully, now they will be after the addition of tara.

hey, would it be too much trouble to ask for some scans? really interested in how they did the flashbacks.

I

Unregistered(d)
 


BTVS Comics: A review of sorts

Postby Unregistered(d) » Mon Mar 25, 2002 7:30 pm

I've only read 2 of them and they were ok. If Tara appeared semi-regularly, I think I would have to subscribe. I am definitely getting a couple of copies of both the Valentine's issues and the amber co-written one.

I

Unregistered(d)
 


BTVS Comics: A review of sorts

Postby Unregistered(d) » Mon Mar 25, 2002 7:30 pm

quote:
Originally posted by Queen of Denial:
hey drlloyd!

hey, would it be too much trouble to ask for some scans? really interested in how they did the flashbacks.



Later today I will add them.

I

Unregistered(d)
 


Return to Board index

Return to Other Backup

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 24 guests


Powered by phpBB The phpBB Group © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007
Style based on a Cosa Nostra Design