Skip to content


New Amber Interview on TheWB.com

DO NOT POST - BACKUP IN PROGRESS

New Amber Interview on TheWB.com

Postby Unregistered(d) » Mon Mar 25, 2002 1:19 pm

Hello. I found this interview this morning while desperately trying to avoid work.

Enjoy!

Since joining Buffy as Tara, Amber Benson's life has gotten so exciting, it's a wonder she remembers to pack her broom on her way to work in the morning.
The WB: Were you a Buffy fan before Tara came along?
Amber: Not really. And honestly, I had no idea how popular Buffy was with people. It's weird how much time people devote to the show. It's not just a TV show - it's all about the cult of Buffy. Now my face is on trading cards and in a game. I just think of myself as Amber Benson, the girl who was a big dork growing up. So the fact that I would now be on a trading card just blows my mind.
The WB: Was fitting in with the cast hard?
Amber: I definitely had some issues at first. I was afraid that fans would be upset about my replacing Seth Green [Oz]. To step into his tennis shoes was really difficult. There was a lot of upset on the Internet, and people were kind of freaked out about it. And I think it really threw a lot of people that Willow became gay. I think people were like, "What's going on?"
The WB: Did you know from the beginning that Tara was a lesbian?
Amber: No, I had no idea. While shooting my third episode, our producer, Joss [Whedon], took me aside and had a little talk with me. He said, "I'm thinking you and Willow are going to become lesbian lovers." I was just like, "What?!" But I think it's fantastic. I'm really lucky to be part of one of the first long-term lesbian relationships on TV.
The WB: How have fans reacted to Tara's sexuality?
Amber: People come up to me and say, "You changed my life. I came out because of what you and Alyson [Hannigan] are doing on the show." They're crying and I'm crying... People have been beyond sweet and kind to me.
The WB: Do you feel a certain kind of responsibility to the gay community when you work?
Amber: I have a lot of gay friends, and I was kind of worried about how to portray it correctly. They said, "Look, playing a gay character isn't any different than portraying someone who is blond or brunette. It's just a preference. There's nothing you have to do differently. You just go be yourself."
The WB: Your character practices Wicca on the show. Is that something that's ever interested you personally?
Amber: I was really interested in it when I was in junior high. I got a lot of books about it, and I was always trying to leave my body - astral projection. I never figured it out, by the way. I think Wicca appeals to people because it smacks of something that's not quite of this reality. It's a little mysterious and magical.
The WB: Didn't you recently help create a Buffy comic book?
Amber: Yeah, I cowrote a Willow/Tara comic called What a Blessed Be with a guy named Chris Golden. He approached me about collaborating with him, and we came up with a really interesting premise. We both are really interested in mythology, so we found this really funky Celtic deity to come after the girls. We had a good time working on it. A guy named Terry Moore, who does a comic called Strangers in Paradise, is doing the drawings. From everything I've seen so far, it looks really cool.
The WB: Are you as shy as your character in real life?
Amber: No, Tara is so not me. I was definitely shy growing up, but now I'm considered the big interrogator. I bug everyone, asking people 20 zillion different questions because I love to know about people. I have a lot of energy, and I like to be constantly on the go. I do 25,000 things at once and overwork myself.
The WB: Are you into the Hollywood party scene?
Amber: No. In that arena I'm kind of conservative. I'm not a big crazy girl. I don't go out and party. In that way, I'm kind of like Tara. I'm a stay-at-home girl.
The WB: So what's next for you?
Amber: I'm currently directing my own film.
The WB: What's it about?
Amber: It's a feature I wrote called Chance. It's my take on trying to find "the one" in Los Angeles, including all the crap you go through trying to find someone you connect with. It's a dark comedy. Actually, some of the cast members from Buffy are going to be making surprise appearances in it.
The WB: You've also got another film project coming up, right?
Amber: That's The Prime Gig [with Vince Vaughn, Julia Ormond and Ed Harris]. I play this character who's called Batgirl because she bludgeons people verbally. She's a telemarketer, and she's very aggressive.
The WB: Sounds like the complete opposite of you.
Amber: Oh, I know. I could never do telemarketing - not in a million years. I can't even sell myself! Instead of saying, "Amber Benson is great," I'm more like, "Amber? Oh, she's okay, sometimes, I guess."


Copyright 2001 The WB Television Network

I

Unregistered(d)
 


New Amber Interview on TheWB.com

Postby Unregistered(d) » Mon Mar 25, 2002 1:19 pm

Oops, they got it wrong. It's WannaBlessedBe, not What a Blessed Be - isn't it? Maybe I've got it wrong. Nice interview. Thanks for posting it!

Do we know yet who from Buffy, other than Emma C., is gonna be in Chance?

I

Unregistered(d)
 


New Amber Interview on TheWB.com

Postby Unregistered(d) » Mon Mar 25, 2002 1:19 pm

she talks about a "james" who is the whole package (looks and talent) on her movie journal site so I'm hoping its James M/spike

I

Unregistered(d)
 


New Amber Interview on TheWB.com

Postby Unregistered(d) » Mon Mar 25, 2002 1:19 pm

Yeah, it's 'Wanna blessed Be' after Will's line from Hush. Thanks for the interview, Corana, it's always good to know how Amber's doing - I can't wait for Prime Gig!!

xoxo

I

Unregistered(d)
 


New Amber Interview on TheWB.com

Postby Unregistered(d) » Mon Mar 25, 2002 1:20 pm

Thanks for the interview, Corana.

Teresa

I

Unregistered(d)
 


New Amber Interview on TheWB.com

Postby Unregistered(d) » Mon Mar 25, 2002 1:20 pm

thanks for posting it Corana. Not much news though, except that little tidbit about the comic.

quote:

We both are really interested in mythology, so we found this really funky Celtic deity to come after the girls.


I did not know that. Sounds interesting. Well, it is almost April...

I

Unregistered(d)
 


New Amber Interview on TheWB.com

Postby Unregistered(d) » Mon Mar 25, 2002 1:20 pm

Thanks for posting this

I think Amber sells herself fabulously! If she didn't, we wouldn't be under her spell right now heh heh

------------------
"You cannot have more catnip. You have a catnip problem!"

I

Unregistered(d)
 


New Amber Interview on TheWB.com

Postby Unregistered(d) » Mon Mar 25, 2002 1:20 pm

Yes we are under her spell.
Amber ir the greatest!!!!

------------------
WTXenGab

I

Unregistered(d)
 


New Amber Interview on TheWB.com

Postby Unregistered(d) » Mon Mar 25, 2002 1:21 pm

Yes we are under her spell.
Amber is the greatest!!!!

------------------
WTXenGab

I

Unregistered(d)
 


New Amber Interview on TheWB.com

Postby Unregistered(d) » Mon Mar 25, 2002 1:21 pm

Thanks for posting the interview Corana. I love the fact that Amber is so unpretentious. That's one of the qualities I adore about her.

I

Unregistered(d)
 


New Amber Interview on TheWB.com

Postby Unregistered(d) » Mon Mar 25, 2002 1:21 pm

Lovely interview. Thanks Corana. Yes and the only new tidbit was about the comic. I wonder if this stalker girl summons it. I can't wait for this comic!

I

Unregistered(d)
 


New Amber Interview on TheWB.com

Postby Unregistered(d) » Mon Mar 25, 2002 1:21 pm

ok...I think we should have a new Amber interview everyday! I love reading anything that she says...even if she does get asked the same questions over and over again.

-Amy

------------------
"You want to take a picture of my butt?...ummm...OK...You've got two seconds." -Amber

I

Unregistered(d)
 


New Amber Interview on TheWB.com

Postby Unregistered(d) » Mon Mar 25, 2002 1:21 pm

Did I ever mention I love that woman?

I

Unregistered(d)
 


New Amber Interview on TheWB.com

Postby Unregistered(d) » Mon Mar 25, 2002 1:22 pm

Mara, we all love Amber! thanks for posting it Corana! any news abt Amber is worth it! and of course, Aly too. cheers and peace!

I

Unregistered(d)
 


New Amber Interview on TheWB.com

Postby Unregistered(d) » Mon Mar 25, 2002 1:22 pm

"...okay,sometmes,I guess"
Never.
Fascinating point--a few folk were(maybe--rightly so-I'm no judge) worried W/T would'nt get lesbian subtle stuff,but it seems Amber's gay friends aren'ntconcerned.Just interesting.

I

Unregistered(d)
 


New Amber Interview on TheWB.com

Postby Unregistered(d) » Mon Mar 25, 2002 1:22 pm

I like the dancing on air picture they used with the article (G)
http://www.thewb.com/news/buffy/benson/

I

Unregistered(d)
 


New Amber Interview on TheWB.com

Postby Unregistered(d) » Mon Mar 25, 2002 1:22 pm

Thanks for the link tvsurfer. I like it much better there on the webpage. The WB, and that particular website in particular are very teen oriented. This coverage is very good and I am really happy to see them promoting Tara and W/T.

I

Unregistered(d)
 


Return to Board index

Return to Other Backup

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 20 guests


Powered by phpBB The phpBB Group © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007
Style based on a Cosa Nostra Design