Skip to content


Transcript: James Marsters interview (Amber reference)

DO NOT POST - BACKUP IN PROGRESS

Transcript: James Marsters interview (Amber reference)

Postby tyche » Tue Mar 26, 2002 11:10 pm

From 'Dreamwatch', Feb. 2002. (Jeri Ryan cover - btw, there's a Jeri Ryan interview - anyone want me to type it up?)
Be warned that this contains vague musings on the possible direction of Spike for the rest of this season:

Love Bites!
As Buffy settles into its sixth season, Spike is still a vampire lacking in bite thanks to the inhibitor chip in his head. He may not be able to be violent, but he cant help falling in love: with the Slayer! Thats just another part of the job for James Marsters.
Words: Abbie Bernstein

Buffy the Vampire Slayers Spike is arguably one of the most dynamic characters to be found in genre television these days. A vampire with a nasty reputation, homicidal habits and a tongue as sharp as his fangs, its a toss-up as to whether Spike is more appalled by the chip in his brain that prevents him from attacking humans or by the fact that hes helplessly in love with a vampire slayer.
Its hard to appreciate just how remarkable his performance is until one encounters actor James Marsters in person. While many actors seem to put a lot of their own personas into the characters they play, Marsters draws Spike from somewhere thats not on public display. His attitude, body language and even accent (Spike sounds like a South-east Londoner, whereas Marsters accent reflects his Northern California roots) are completely different. But most of all, where Spike despises socialising, Marsters wholeheartedly embraces meeting people - workmates, fans, even journalists.
Marsters cheerfully acknowledges in an interview on the Paramount lot that it helps that hes proud of Buffy. Im blessed because I like my job. There are a lot of TV shows where someone would have to work very hard to come up with good things to say about [their] show. A lot of shows suck. Actors who work on shows that suck know it. This is very easy. I dont have to edit myself, because I actually think my show is great.
In Marsters view, whats right about Buffy starts at the top with creator Joss Whedon and the series leading lady. Sarah Michelle Gellar rocks. Shes a total pleasure to work with. I cant say enough about her. Shes easily half of the reason that the jobs so [much] fun.
The actor sounds positively in awe of series creator Joss Whedon and the Buffy writing staff, who he says have taught him much about characterisation. For instance, the fifth season episode Fool for Love revealed that in his mortal life, far from being a holy terror, Spike had been a sensitive, poetry-writing nerd. I would have said that he was a bad-ass punk rocker, Marsters laughs. I have the imagination of a gerbil. To let the audience see the world through your characters eyes, you have to be human, which means you have to be fallible. You need to bump into walls and smell bad sometimes. The audience wants to be cool, and so they will respond to a really cool character, but their real interests are with the characters they can recognise themselves in. The interesting thing about the character, from the beginning, was that on the one hand, he was a real sociopathic killer who really enjoyed torturing people, but then again, he was a very sensitive and attentive lover.
Acting is more than a profession for Marsters. If it werent for performing, he opines, I would be in jail. Acting saved me from a lot of self-destructive behaviour, hanging around with the wrong kind of people, looking for a certain kind of adventure, I guess.
Still, some of the rougher times have provided a useful frame of reference. An actor should try to live as wide a life as possible, Marsters believes, because you almost never play an actor. You always play a fisherman or a politician or something else. Experience is good. Those [bad] days certainly helped me with Spike.
Marsters studied acting at Julliard and went on to co-found the New Mercury Theatre Company, moving from Chicago to Seattle. Last year, he appeared on stage in Los Angeles at the Hudson Theatre in The Why, a play about high-school shootings. This year, he filmed an episode of Andromeda as Archduke Charlegmagne Bolivar. That was fun - I got to be a big prick in that.
In the feature film arena, Marsters completed a starring role opposite Buffy colleague Amber Benson (Tara), in Chance, which Benson wrote, produced and directed. She put a tight crew together, Marsters enthuses. Ive always been impressed with her as an actor, but as a director and as a writer and big time as a producer, shes a total professional. Id work with her again any time.
Marsters is particularly excited about his appearance with Roger Daltrey in the Jimi Hendrix Blues episode of VH-1's fantasy anthology Strange Frequency. [Its] about a roadie who sells his soul to the Devil to become a rock god. Well, I was shooting with Roger Daltrey, so he was right there. The [onscreen] band were all musicians, and we would play music together on the sides. I like blues-driven rock. It fitted [me] perfectly.
Marsters continues to regularly appear at LA-area clubs playing and singing when hes not busy acting. He is also among the Buffy cast members who often gather at Joss Whedons home to socialise and make music. Of course, Spike sings in the Buffy musical episode Once More, With Feeling. Marsters is full of praise for Whedons abilities as a composer and lyricist. [Whedon writes] very complicated chord progressions, but doesnt know musical theory, so its all by ear, so its almost unfair.
For the past two seasons, John Medlin has been the Buffy stunt co-ordinator. According to Marsters, Medlins increased input has allowed work to progress more swiftly. They are letting John Medlin almost direct some of the stunt sequences, which simplifies things greatly - its a lot quicker. Its just the [fight] choreographer going Right here, take a punch. Theyve put in a lot more gymnastic moves for Buffy. I think were going to see more wire gags.
As far as Spikes stunts go, Marsters relates, They let me do almost anything. If my feet leave the ground, then [its] not me - its [Marsters stunt double] Steve Tartaglia. If hes falling out of a building, hitting cement or flipping up and doing wild kung fu kicks and stuff, thats going to be Steve, but everything else is me. So its about 70 per cent me and about 30 per cent Steve but that 30 per cent that Steves doing is all the really cool stuff!
However, most of Spikes punch-ups are handled by Marsters. In a way, stunt fighting requires more control than real fighting, because in real fighting, youre just going for your target and right through. In fake fighting, you have to pass through a very narrow corridor to sell it as a punch for the camera angle and still be a safe distance. So its [a] kind of dance.
There are real risks involved. Stuntmen are instructed if they clip [actually hit] actors, they get fired, Marsters explains, so I always tell stuntmen that, If you clip me, I will deny it. So dont be careful. Id much rather get a good shot than be too careful. But its dangerous work. People do get popped in the nose a little bit.
As for what will happen with Spike this season, Marsters claims not to know, but he would like to see the vampire get that violence-inhibiting chip out of his head. I hope so, he says fervently. I dont know [if it will happen]. The thing is, now that hes in love with Buffy, hes got a real good reason not to kill people. But [if the chip is removed], then he gets to decide not to, which I think is more interesting than [having the choice] taken out of his hands.
Chipped or not, Marsters reminds us that [Spike is] a soulless slime. He is an evil character who is in love with someone who is good, so in order to be the kind of man that she could love, he will try to be good. Do I think that Buffy will ever reciprocate Spikes affection? No. I think Im totally beneath her. I think shes a good person who knows right from wrong. I think that Spike is just wrong. No matter what he tries to do to impress her, hes evil. I stuck her with a cattle prod just a few months ago - come on!, he laughs.
Still, the smitten Spike will likely continue to follow Buffys lead. However she feels about the situation, Marsters observes, hell probably try to help her. The vamp cant help it. Hes loves bitch.

------------------
Welcome to the nancy tribe...

I

tyche
 


Transcript: James Marsters interview (Amber reference)

Postby Unregistered(d) » Tue Mar 26, 2002 11:10 pm

Thanks very much Tyche... people who work with her just can't stop raving about Amber in whatever capacity she is in and any publicity for Chance is a good thing in itself.


Katharyn

------------------
She's my always

I

Unregistered(d)
 


Transcript: James Marsters interview (Amber reference)

Postby Unregistered(d) » Tue Mar 26, 2002 11:10 pm

quote:
Originally posted by tyche:
In the feature film arena, Marsters completed a starring role opposite Buffy colleague Amber Benson (Tara), in Chance, which Benson wrote, produced and directed. She put a tight crew together, Marsters enthuses. Ive always been impressed with her as an actor, but as a director and as a writer and big time as a producer, shes a total professional. Id work with her again any time.

And I so hope that comes true!

Amber and James, you absolutely ROCK!


Thanks so much for posting this tyche!

I

Unregistered(d)
 


Transcript: James Marsters interview (Amber reference)

Postby Unregistered(d) » Tue Mar 26, 2002 11:11 pm

Thank you Tyche for posting a great article. Somehow no matter how much I like Buffy I can't seem to ever be reading the most current articles. It's nice to know that I can come here and get them from someone else!!!

I

Unregistered(d)
 


Transcript: James Marsters interview (Amber reference)

Postby Unregistered(d) » Tue Mar 26, 2002 11:11 pm

Thanks for posting this...

On a related note, James Marsters said something very similar when I was speaking to him at the Australian conventions a few months ago...Of course I was introduced as the huge Amber fan, and then he started saying how he'd just done 'Chance' and how professional the production had been, and how great Amber was, and that she was going to be a force to be reckoned with in independant cinema! This of course made me very happy :+) It's always nice when everyone that works with Amber Benson has such great things to say about her!

------------------
And how long have you known that your girlfriend's Tinkerbell?

I

Unregistered(d)
 


Transcript: James Marsters interview (Amber reference)

Postby Unregistered(d) » Tue Mar 26, 2002 11:11 pm

James Marsters says Spike is slime?? Hmmm. Forehadowing?

I am glad he has such nice things about Amber.

[This message has been edited by The Rose (edited December 22, 2001).]

I

Unregistered(d)
 


Transcript: James Marsters interview (Amber reference)

Postby Unregistered(d) » Tue Mar 26, 2002 11:11 pm

thanks tyche, for posting the article.

amber's so brill!

I

Unregistered(d)
 


Transcript: James Marsters interview (Amber reference)

Postby Unregistered(d) » Tue Mar 26, 2002 11:11 pm

quote:
Originally posted by The Rose:
James Marsters says Spike is slime?? Hmm. Foreshadowing?

Next season, Spike turns into a snail. You heard it here first.

------------------
Welcome to the nancy tribe...

I

Unregistered(d)
 


Transcript: James Marsters interview (Amber reference)

Postby Unregistered(d) » Tue Mar 26, 2002 11:12 pm

Tyche...

Thank for typing it up and posting this. I think I have read similar comments by JM about Spike in another interview. It certainly sounds like this one was made before the recent B/S developments. It's nice to hear speak of Joss, SMG and Amber this way.

[This message has been edited by Dr.G (edited December 23, 2001).]

I

Unregistered(d)
 


Transcript: James Marsters interview (Amber reference)

Postby Unregistered(d) » Tue Mar 26, 2002 11:12 pm

Could be that old age is causing my memory to fade, but when did Spike stick Buffy with a cattle prod???

I

Unregistered(d)
 


Transcript: James Marsters interview (Amber reference)

Postby Unregistered(d) » Tue Mar 26, 2002 11:12 pm

He did in the Crush or did Drusilla do it? Hmmm not sure now. In my defense it are only the W/T scenes I watch a zillion times frame by frame.

I

Unregistered(d)
 


Return to Board index

Return to Other Backup

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 30 guests


Powered by phpBB The phpBB Group © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007
Style based on a Cosa Nostra Design