Skip to content


Joss Whedon Interview for Westfield Comics

DO NOT POST - BACKUP IN PROGRESS

Joss Whedon Interview for Westfield Comics

Postby xita » Mon Mar 25, 2002 1:05 pm

A new Joss interview at Westfield Comics.
A little talk about the season finale, nothing spoilery at all though. It's mostly about Fray his new comic.

Westfield: What can you tell us about Fray?

Joss Whedon: Its a slayer story, but one thats not connected at all to the Buffy mythos, except that its about a slayer. I wanted to do a futuristic, slightly sci-fi adventure, but I didnt want to create a whole new universe. I wanted to stay sort of in the world that I had already created, so I had some of the groundwork already laid. At one point, I had thought about doing a story about Faith, but then we brought Faith back to be on Angel, so I cant really interfere with that myth. I thought if I go a few hundred years into the future, I probably wont step on any toes. Then I can do whatever I want in the series and I can have fun with the comic.

Westfield: Who are some of the major characters in Fray?

Whedon: The major character would be Melaka Fray, shes the heroine. Shes the slayer, although she has no idea of this at first. She is a professional thief who works for a guy named Gunther who is, among other things, a big fish. In the future, theres a lot of mutations out there. Shes confronted by UrKonn, whos an extremely powerful demon, early on. But her nemesis, the vampire that she first met up with when she was younger, is called Icarus. Hes a particular bad-ass. Hes in the mix a lot. Theres her sister, Erin Fray, whos a cop. They have a very contentious relationship because Melakas a crook. They have very different reactions to the crappy lives theyve had. Those are the major players, except that Icarus is working for a higher being that we dont meet for a while.

The other thing is that, not only has there not been a slayer called for a couple hundred years in this, there hasnt been any vampires or demons or magic of any kind in the world. Vampires are reoccurring, and nobody even knows what theyre called. When Frays first told that she has to fight vampires, she doesnt know what the word means. They dont even have them in legends, so its all a whole new world for her. It takes place in Manhattan, which they call Haddyn, because everythings sort of shortened. Manhattan is exactly as it is now, only more so. They just kept building straight up.

Westfield: Why did you decide to do Fray as a comic?

Whedon: Because theres no way on Gods green earth I could afford to do it any other way. Theres a bunch of flying cars in it. I wanted to do a comic. I love comics. Ive read them my whole life. Ive always wanted to write one. I thought about this story and thought, instead of creating a whole new world, I can just do this and maybe itll be self contained and it can be a little journey into comics. I had hoped just to do a couple issues of something, then it ballooned into an 8-part story because I can never shut up.

Westfield: How much work did you do on creating this new version of the world before you actually started working on the comics and what were some of the influences you drew on?

Whedon: In terms of creating the world, we kept it pretty simple. Artist Karl Moline looked a lot at the movies Blade Runner and Fifth Element because those are both urbanization gone mad. Stylistically, those were obviously influences, just in terms of creating the world. I didnt spend a lot of time coming up with a brilliant vision of the future. I wanted to keep it simple. My excuse is always, and its the same thing I did in Alien Resurrection, for the rich people, for the normal people, for the people who actually live inside the law; yes, computers have changed everything and everyone is young and beautiful, and its a whole new world and theres all sorts of ramifications. But if youre poor, nothing has really changed. Especially if youre crooked. That gets me out of having to actually imagine a lot of things because Im not the sci-fi visionary that some people are, although it would be fun to get into a world like that. I wanted to tell a pretty basic story. I just wanted to have that scope, that feel. I love stuff in the future.

Westfield: How is writing Fray similar or different to what you do when you write for TV or films?

Whedon: Its surprisingly both, actually. Its similar in that youre looking the big moments, youre looking for the big emotions, and youre constantly saying these guys are overacting. Its different in the sense that you have to choose a still picture that will convey what usually you would have movement to convey. When youre taking off in the air or landing, which one is the one you need to show? How much do need to convey visually? How much can you do in one panel? Thats different and pretty exciting just because its new.

Westfield: How did you feel when you first saw Karl Molines art for Fray?

Whedon: I love it. Im pretty blown away by it. Weve definitely gone back and forth on a couple of things, conceptual things. Therere certain things that I stress that he doesnt. Were feeling each other out in that sense. But I think his pencils are really lovely. His character stuff is really beautifully detailed. I love Melaka. I love the look of the world. Its very dynamic. Im pretty thrilled. I just got the colored pages for the first issue and Ive been just giggling like a school girl.

Westfield: Do you have any plans for Fray past this mini-series?

Whedon: Were doing a book, Tales of the Slayers, a one-shot that me and a bunch of the writers from the show are doing, that will encompass a lot of different slayers in stories and there will be a short Fray story in that. Beyond that, I have no immediate plans. But if people really respond and theyre like hey, we want a Fray book, certainly it would be open. The story will be self-contained, but Im not going to blow up the world at the end of it.

Westfield: Youre also working on an Angel comic thats coming out soon. Can you tell us anything about that?

Whedon: Brett Matthews, who is on my staff and who has spent hours and hours talking comic books and films with me, we both went to the same college, studied film at the same place; were both comic book freaks. Weve spent a lot of time talking about the Angel book and what we thought we should do with it. He said, why dont we just do that? And we called editor Scott Allie and said, Can we write a couple? And Scotts like, ok. Thats one of the things I love about Dark Horse, theyre really nice about everything. What weve been trying to do is get the Angel book to be more of a comic book. The template was so locked to the show that it was starting to feel a little stale because a TV show is not a comic book. Lets have the character with the big, long tail. Lets have the two-story Jack Kirby monster. Lets have this guy swoop from the shadows in an alley in the dark of night and save somebody, not unlike that guy with the cape. Lets accentuate that. Lets make it a real bigger than life comic book. Give it some of that sexy feel. So we came up with a four-part story arc. Bretts doing most of the heavy lifting. Weve been bringing the story together, and Ive been working dialog on him, but in terms of laying it out, its mostly his. I think its going well. Its fun. Some very cool pencils from Mel Rubi.

Westfield: Can you say anything more about the Tales of the Slayers book?

Whedon: We dont have a date for it, but we talked about this when we were shooting the 70s flashback of Spike killing a slayer on a subway. I said to Doug Petrie, whos one of my writers and whos written some of the Buffy comics and is, like me, a comic book nut, God. We should do a compendium of stories of slayers throughout history. And he was like I get to do the 70s slayer on the subway. Hes actually doing it with Gene Colan. There was so much of the original Blade and Tomb of Dracula in that whole sequence. We were so into that. We pitched that to Scott and he was all over it and it turned out that practically my entire staff wanted to do it. They all picked an era and we talked about length and Im doing three little pieces in it myself. Its a different artist for every piece and were getting some really exciting people to draw it. Luckily, a little more contained than this eight-issue monster.

Westfield: Can you mention any of the other artists who are working on it?

Whedon: Karls going to do, obviously, the Fray story for me. I think Tim Sale is going to do one of my pieces, which Im just freaking out about. Craig Russell is doing something, and, like I said, Gene. Im not sure who else at this point. Were still fairly early in the process. But cool guys. [NOTE: editor Scott Allie says we can add Ted Naifeh and Steve Lieber to the list of artists working on the book.]

Westfield: Is there anything youd care to share about what we can look forward to on the Buffy and Angel TV series?

Whedon: Lots o fun. [laughter] Hey, Im not wrong. Both shows are gearing up for season finales of just insane adventure. The last four episodes of both shows just kick into enormous high gear. Its gonna be really fun, really hard to shoot, really expensive, and Ill be really tired afterwards. [laughter] Hopefully, things will wrap up emotionally as well as adventuresomely.

Westfield: Do you plot out the story arc for the entire year before you start doing anything?

Whedon: Actually, we plotted out the story arc for this year before last year. It was in the third year that we figured out what we wanted to do for the next two years. So, yes. We plot it out leaving room for disasters or fortuitous occasions. Anything could change. Basically, we plot it ahead always, because if you dont know where youre going, youre not going anywhere.

Westfield: With that in mind, do you have an eventual end in mind for Buffy?

Whedon: No, I really dont. I end every year as though its the last year, just in case, so that you dont feel that sense of but there was all that left unresolved. Instead of doing cliffhangers, I like to leave every year with a sense of closure. But no, I dont see any end in sight. Ive already got plenty of extraordinary ideas for next year.


------------------
Tara: Tripled? Like first money, then
money money money?

[This message has been edited by xita (edited April 01, 2001).]

I

xita
 


Joss Whedon Interview for Westfield Comics

Postby Unregistered(d) » Mon Mar 25, 2002 1:05 pm

Isn't Amber supposed to be writing for the Tales of the Slayers book?

------------------
"I like money better than people. People can so rarely be exchanged for goods and/or services."

I

Unregistered(d)
 


Joss Whedon Interview for Westfield Comics

Postby Unregistered(d) » Mon Mar 25, 2002 1:05 pm

Yes she is writing for this. Too bad Joss couldn't do a Faith comic. But this sounds awesome as does the finale.

I

Unregistered(d)
 


Joss Whedon Interview for Westfield Comics

Postby Unregistered(d) » Mon Mar 25, 2002 1:05 pm

I've always liked that Buffy never had cliffhangers for their season finale. It seems so many other shows do that and makes everything so unresolved.

I

Unregistered(d)
 


Joss Whedon Interview for Westfield Comics

Postby Unregistered(d) » Mon Mar 25, 2002 1:06 pm

Theres a five-page preview of the comic if you go to this site http://www.darkhorse.com/news/features/ ... index.html

I

Unregistered(d)
 


Joss Whedon Interview for Westfield Comics

Postby Unregistered(d) » Mon Mar 25, 2002 1:06 pm

Oh, that's awesome. Thanks for the link catwoman. I am definitely in the Buffy comic groove. I really am getting into them Anything Joss made can't be that bad.

I

Unregistered(d)
 


Joss Whedon Interview for Westfield Comics

Postby Unregistered(d) » Mon Mar 25, 2002 1:06 pm

There's also a link there to the Darkhorse Joss interview which covers some of the same territory, though he goes into a lot more depth about his personal philosophy plus some other cool stuff like his motivation for coming up with both Fray and Buffy.

That was also where i found the link to the pre-order page at TFAW where you can buy the soon-to-be-released Amber comic. It says it's being released on April 4, but it also says it's being published on April 18, so i don't know which is right.

BTW, Fray sounds very interesting, like it would make a great movie.

I

Unregistered(d)
 


Joss Whedon Interview for Westfield Comics

Postby Unregistered(d) » Mon Mar 25, 2002 1:06 pm

Heya,

just dropping a note to say that Buffy the Vampire Slayer: Willow and Tara(i.e Amber comic) is currently not on the shipping list for 4 April.So there's no need to go looking for it this week.

erm...hi?

I

Unregistered(d)
 


Joss Whedon Interview for Westfield Comics

Postby Unregistered(d) » Mon Mar 25, 2002 1:06 pm

oooh...comics...i might have to start buying more than just SIP now...

but hey,

Dododioh and Halcyon, welcome to the kitty board!

when you have a sec, i encourage you to Register for the board so that you can achieve cool posting levels like, say, big pineapple! and once you've done that, head over to the Introduction Thread where you can introduce yourself and learn more about us!

I

Unregistered(d)
 


Joss Whedon Interview for Westfield Comics

Postby Unregistered(d) » Mon Mar 25, 2002 1:07 pm

Hey Halcyon and Dododioh, welcome to the board. And Halcyon thanks for that cause I was gonna rush to the comic book store.

Here's the direct link to that OTHER JOSS INTERVIEW

[This message has been edited by xita (edited April 02, 2001).]

I

Unregistered(d)
 


Joss Whedon Interview for Westfield Comics

Postby Unregistered(d) » Mon Mar 25, 2002 1:07 pm

So, I am thinking this is a great quote from that last interview. Lots of interesting things about what the slayer is:

It's probably important to understand the world she live in: there has been no magic -- no demons or vampires or magical creatures -- on the earth for a few hundred years. The implication being that something happened in the 21st century that sort of made them all go away and no more is ever said about that. But, though no Slayer has actually been called , the watchers counsel has become a bunch of insane, drooling idiots, and a bit of vampirism has sort of resurfaced but nobody knows what it is. Nobody even knows they ever existed or has heard stories of vampires -- that eradication really did `em in. So, when Fray is actually called, she is called by a demon who is sent for reasons not disclosed just yet, to train her to stop the swell of vampires. She is basically someone who has always had this power in her, but she was never trained and never "called." She's never had an outlet for her power.

I

Unregistered(d)
 


Return to Board index

Return to Other Backup

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 12 guests


Powered by phpBB The phpBB Group © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007
Style based on a Cosa Nostra Design