Skip to content


Buffy chess set

DO NOT POST - BACKUP IN PROGRESS

Buffy chess set

Postby tyche » Tue Mar 26, 2002 5:07 am

Saw this in WH Smiths today - it costs 24.99. The characters are divided into 'good' and 'evil':
Goodies:
Queen - Buffy
King - Angel
Knight - Oz
Bishop - Giles
Rook - Willow
Pawn - Xander


Baddies:
King - Spike
Queen - Dru
Knight - Ethan (is this the first Ethan merchandise ever, btw?)
Pawn - The Judge
The other 2 characters on the evil side are Darla and the Master.

I think a game of Buffy chess would be fun.

------------------
Timothy Dalton should get an Oscar and BEAT SEAN CONNERY OVER THE HEAD WITH IT!!

[This message has been edited by tyche (edited December 01, 2001).]

[This message has been edited by tyche (edited December 01, 2001).]

I

tyche
 


Buffy chess set

Postby Unregistered(d) » Tue Mar 26, 2002 5:07 am

oh! i've seen this! i'd love it... but mum won't buy it for me... something about me not knowing how to play chess... what? like a girl can't learn??

anyways... looks pretty cool.

------------------
"if you throw a stone, something's gonna shatter somewhere. We're all so fragile, we're all so scared."
Convention review site

I

Unregistered(d)
 


Buffy chess set

Postby Unregistered(d) » Tue Mar 26, 2002 5:08 am

but for the kittky board willow should be the king and tara should be the queen

I

Unregistered(d)
 


Buffy chess set

Postby Unregistered(d) » Tue Mar 26, 2002 5:08 am

quote:
but for the kittky board willow should be the king and tara should be the queen

Or they could both be queens. Or they could fight over who gets to wear the trousers.

------------------
Timothy Dalton should get an Oscar and BEAT SEAN CONNERY OVER THE HEAD WITH IT!!

I

Unregistered(d)
 


Buffy chess set

Postby Unregistered(d) » Tue Mar 26, 2002 5:08 am

omg! this is awesome! and all this time i wanted to play "chess" with Willow...now's my chance! LMAO!

I

Unregistered(d)
 


Buffy chess set

Postby Unregistered(d) » Tue Mar 26, 2002 5:08 am

Well I dunno, Xander is the pawn? So does that mean there are 8 of him, and he who left the show two years ago is a knight and he who left the show 2 and a half years ago is the King? I'll second the 2 Queens suggestion Tyche, hee hee, get me a board with those pieces and I'll buy it pronto. On the upside, if Willow is a rook, does that mean there are two of her? I can always replace the knight with my home-made little Tara pieces.

[This message has been edited by Dr.G (edited December 01, 2001).]

I

Unregistered(d)
 


Buffy chess set

Postby Unregistered(d) » Tue Mar 26, 2002 5:09 am

OMG a Buffy chess but,why always this Oz guy.
He left the show a long,long time ago.
It's willow and Tara now.
Dr.G Are your little Tara pieces looking any good? Can you make some for me? Got to have this Buffy chess only, I don't know how to play it.

Nicole

I

Unregistered(d)
 


Buffy chess set

Postby Unregistered(d) » Tue Mar 26, 2002 5:09 am

Cool idea but of course Tara isn't there but Oz and Angel are, why do these people still live in the past?

I

Unregistered(d)
 


Buffy chess set

Postby Unregistered(d) » Tue Mar 26, 2002 5:09 am

Sounds fun, but some odd choices for the positions. Considering the number of times Xander's been refered to as "Buffy's White Knight", Knight seems much more obvious choice for him than for Oz. Also, obviously based on the early era of the show (The Master, Darla, Oz, Angel, Dru...no Tara, no Dawn, no Anya.)

I

Unregistered(d)
 


Buffy chess set

Postby Unregistered(d) » Tue Mar 26, 2002 5:09 am

Well maybe we gonna get a second edition of the Buffy chess.Buffy 2002 chess with willow,Tara,Dawn,Anya.The big badsmy,the warlock Rack ect.
So don't live in the past.
Nicole

I

Unregistered(d)
 


Buffy chess set

Postby Unregistered(d) » Tue Mar 26, 2002 5:10 am

Maybe so Wiccagrrl, but it is high time for an update.

quote:
Originally posted by spellbound 13:

He left the show a long, long time ago.

And hopefully he is living in a galaxy far, far away.
My pieces are looking very nice btw *runs away to make little Tara pieces, I could give you some and teach you how to play chess. For a modest fee of course. I'm cheap.

I

Unregistered(d)
 


Buffy chess set

Postby Unregistered(d) » Tue Mar 26, 2002 5:10 am

I could always take up whittling and carve myself a Tara, course anyone I played would know I would defend it to the last piece.

Katharyn

------------------
She's my always

I

Unregistered(d)
 


Buffy chess set

Postby Unregistered(d) » Tue Mar 26, 2002 5:10 am

Given that it's a BTVS chess set and that means Buffy has to be the Queen this is how I would set it up.

The Good (White):
King - Giles
Queen - Buffy
Knight - Xander
Bishop - Tara
Rook - Willow
Pawn - Dawn

The Bad (Red or Black):
King - Spike
Queen - Dru
Knight - Ethan
Bishop - Glory
Rook - Darla
Pawn - Harmony

This is one I would definitely add to my collection of chess sets.

I

Unregistered(d)
 


Buffy chess set

Postby Unregistered(d) » Tue Mar 26, 2002 5:10 am

Is it possible to order this online somewhere? And what's up with the Oz thing - I liked his character as much as the next gal, but what I wouldn't give for a little Tara chess piece. *sigh* Oh, well, I'd still get it... darn obsessions.

I

Unregistered(d)
 


Buffy chess set

Postby Unregistered(d) » Tue Mar 26, 2002 5:11 am

Xanders the pawn? Ouch.. shows how disposable he is, huh?

------------------
"Believe me I don't want to go,
And it'll grieve me 'cause I love you so
But we both know..."

I

Unregistered(d)
 


Buffy chess set

Postby Unregistered(d) » Tue Mar 26, 2002 5:11 am

Cool. Do you think anywhere in Canada sells those, or somewhere online, cause i need to get one of those? And one of those Buffy advent calanders, but it seems only England has those aswell.
--Faith-Girl

I

Unregistered(d)
 


Buffy chess set

Postby Unregistered(d) » Tue Mar 26, 2002 5:11 am

For "evil" pawns it should be Jinx et al.

On line ordering for chess set only found one source so far: http://www.scifiwarehouse.com/acatalog/ ... es_73.html
a bit pricing I am thinking, 29.00 or $41 US

------------------
BUFFY: Talk later. Stealthy escape now.S4E20
ANYA: Less talk, more running away.S6E1

I

Unregistered(d)
 


Buffy chess set

Postby Unregistered(d) » Tue Mar 26, 2002 5:11 am

quote:
Originally posted by [u:68f4ebb1ec]mucifer[/u:68f4ebb1ec]:
but for the kittky board willow should be the king and tara should be the queen

Technically, at this point in the show at least (or start of season 6, before the separation), I think Willow would be the queen and Tara would be the king (as far as chess rules). Willow's the one with the far-reaching power, and Tara is the one she'd protect at all costs....

But for a general Buffy set, starting with the original set in [u:68f4ebb1ec]tyche[/u:68f4ebb1ec]'s post they should make Xander be the second knight, Tara be the second rook, and Jenny be the second bishop (or maybe Anya). Then the pawns should be the other high school kids (Jonathan, Larry, Harmony(human), etc, maybe including Cordy) with their Graduation battle gear (and maybe the cap-and-gown?).

For the bad guys, shouldn't the Master and Darla be the king and queen? (The Master was strong, but mostly stuck unable to battle, so that kinda works.) Glory might be a more appropriate queen, though; she's more powerful than any of the vamps (though in chess she'd be killable by any opposing character, hmmm). And the Mayor might make an alternate king (or maybe Ben, hmmm). Spike and Dru should be knights. Ethan and Gwendolyn Post could be the bishops. Luke and the Judge could be rooks (for the inside joke ), and various other vampires (including Harmony?) as the pawns. The baddies just don't map as well because they generally worked as separate small groups (plus minions), so there are a lot of ways you could map them out but never feel right.

What could be really neat would be a computer Buffy chess game that let you mix and match the pieces with character faces/likenesses drawn from the entire series, so you could set up your favorite showdowns. Of course, you'd still have to know how to play chess.... Or just have the computer play against itself and watch; the fun part is deciding who to pick for each piece.

I

Unregistered(d)
 


Buffy chess set

Postby Unregistered(d) » Tue Mar 26, 2002 5:11 am

Thanx Dr.G Modest fee
Do I have to pay in Euro?

Nicole

I

Unregistered(d)
 


Buffy chess set

Postby Unregistered(d) » Tue Mar 26, 2002 5:12 am

Nicole, lets just meet in my dark damp basement to discuss this, that way you can meet my other vict...vicarious Buffy stuff I mean.

I

Unregistered(d)
 


Buffy chess set

Postby Unregistered(d) » Tue Mar 26, 2002 5:12 am

Aha an other Fred West.:0

Vamp Nicole

I

Unregistered(d)
 


Buffy chess set

Postby Unregistered(d) » Tue Mar 26, 2002 5:12 am

quote:
Originally posted by Cipher:
[QUOTE]
Then the pawns should be the other high school kids (Jonathan, Larry, Harmony(human), etc, maybe including Cordy)

Well, if we're going all "Graduation Day," shouldn't Larry be the Queen?

I

Unregistered(d)
 


Buffy chess set

Postby Unregistered(d) » Tue Mar 26, 2002 5:12 am

How come i'm not suprised that Xander is a pawn? They've been treating him like one for the past 3 seasons, i would have preffered Xander as the knight and Giles as the king, it seems more fitting, i love Angel, but he hasn't been on the show for awhile, and i'm kinda pissed about Oz being there, where's our girl Tara?

I

Unregistered(d)
 


Return to Board index

Return to Other Backup

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 38 guests


Powered by phpBB The phpBB Group © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007
Style based on a Cosa Nostra Design