Skip to content


Slate Article: Buffy Slays. Now what?

DO NOT POST - BACKUP IN PROGRESS

Slate Article: Buffy Slays. Now what?

Postby xita » Tue Mar 26, 2002 6:06 pm

From slate

Buffy Slays. Now What?
The least-watched great show on TV grows up.
By Tim Appelo
Posted Monday, November 5, 2001, at 2:16 PM PT


To cop a lyric from Buffy the Vampire Slayer's Nov. 6 all-musical episode, Where Do We Go From Here? For five years, Buffy has been the least-watched great show on television, the most ridiculed by ignorati who think they're literati. Like its peers (The West Wing, The Sopranos, ER), Buffy is better than movies because its writer is the most important guy on the set.


But now creator Joss Whedon has basically turned Buffy over to his lieutenant, Marti Noxon, and his crack writing crew while he directs movies and spins off new shows: a cartoon Buffy and a BBC series starring Anthony Stewart Head, who plays Buffy's high-school librarian and watcher (vampire-slaying mentor) Giles. Buffy's story line echoes scary reality: Joss the Watcher is leaving the kids in control, just as newly motherless Buffy, Willow the witch, and friends, no longer teens, must now give slaying the old college try. Joss says the sixth season's theme is, "Oh, grow up!" Nothing can be quite the same again.

A lack of sameness is why Buffy is confined to tiny networks and snubbed by Emmys. Television demands comforting rituals: the safely contained crises of ER, the catch phrases, the familiar settings and static characters. The West Wing has the reassuring, smug hum of a sewing machine. You could say of it what Randall Jarrell said of Richard Wilbur's verse: It "obsessively sees, and shows, the bright underside of every dark thing." It's an effortless wish-fulfillment fantasy, and that's what always wins awards. Buffy is not afraid of exploring dark, unfamiliar places. This imperils her popularity. Even audiences who foment revolution unconsciously crave tradition: Belushi's "But noooo!" refrain and the Wild and Crazy Czech brothers got no laughs on SNL until tireless repetition trained us to get the joke.


You can't know what to expect on Buffy. At first, it was an Archie archetype: four friends and an avuncular teacher whose high school is the mouth of hell, beset by a different monster each weekeach monster cleverly illustrating actual teen experience. "People are scarier than monsters," says Whedon. Like a comet, the most brilliant monster metaphor knocked the whole show onto a new course: Whedon and Noxon had Buffy lose her virginity on her 17th birthday, and the next morning her kindly boyfriend turned cold and cruel due to an ancient curse. Same thing happened last week, after Buffy's kid sister Dawn's first kiss. Nota bene, girls: Boys will be vampires. Buffy is reality programming.

But it breaks the iron law of TV formula. It ruthlessly mocks its own conventions and catch phrases (and pop culture in general). It's a big ratings deal when Sherry Stringfield exits or returns to ER. On Buffy, more central characters have now left the show than there were central characters to begin with. Relationships morph, characters become good or evil, uncannily nonhuman, or gay. Faced with overwhelming pressure to handle sensitive issues with Very Special Episode sanctimony and obvious right-thinking agitprop, Whedon is stubbornly, heroically, creatively perverse. Buffy boasts the least stupid shows ever done on date rape, teen suicide, and seducer teachers. After Willow Rosenberg, the witch, got an enchanted gal-pal, scandalizing viewers shocked by realistic lesbian characters, Whedon spoke out: "I've made a mistake by trying to shove this lifestylewhich is embraced by, maybe, at most, 10 percent of Americansdown people's throats. So I'm going to take it back, and from now on, Willow will no longer be a Jew." His is the first show truly to master the teen native tongue, sarcasm.

Faced with the classic Gasoline Alley/Archie dilemmaif you've got a bunch of kids, are they going to age or be a standing wave of youth?Buffy riskily, passionately embraced change. Any episode of Friends or Frasier or The X-Files is essentially self-contained. You can pick up enough about the scene and the ongoing soap opera to grasp what's going on fast. But Buffy is a blur, a hell-bound train, and if you're a newcomer not up to speed, the story is not going to wait for you. Its approach to newbie viewers is akin to the notorious Microsoft memo about employees: Prune the Laggards.

A month into the new, Noxon-watched Buffy, it's time to take stock. When Buffy clawed her way out of her coffin in the season opener, she emerged as bewildered as a new viewer. The two-minute introduction, "Previously on Buffy the Vampire Slayer," was comically incomprehensible, and the world she returned to is utterly different from that of the early episodes. Compare the scene the last time Buffy came back from the dead, at the start of Season 2. The show was deft, funny, playing off instantly recognizable high-school romantic roundelays.

But Noxon is not Whedon. He admiringly called Noxon "the suicide girl," and death is certainly her gift. A melodramatist of genius, she plumbs emotional depths beyond her boss's ken. Yet she lacks his quicksilver touchhe wrote 90 percent of Speed, for God's sakeand the Buffy-back-from-the-dead episodes had a lead foot, demons who just went through the motions, and a seven-minute climax that should've taken two. Plus, she can't write a joke to save her life, nor Buffy's. Fortunately, the rest of the staff can write jokes, but nobody in Season 6 has yet matched the original Whedon team in mixing Buffy's ineffable cocktail of laughs, tears, and undead-ass-kicking action.

Now that Buffy's mom is dead (a traumatic milestone in TV history) and her watcher is off to his British series, her house is full of young adults casting about for identity. The plotsabout getting a first job, coping with money, domestic quarrels, getting marriedlack the resonance of the teen-age Buffy years. Comparing grown-up Buffy to her old self, one thinks of C.S. Lewis, who said he never read a memoir in which the childhood wasn't the best part because everyone can relate. The new adventures of Buffy are simply less universal. Now the show's focus shifts from Buffy (star Sarah Michelle Gellar has maybe two years on her contract) to Willow, who's getting corrupted by absolute witchy power (Alyson Hannigan is the show's top acting talent), and Buffy's 15-year-old sister Dawn (Michelle Trachtenberg is clearly being groomed for stardom after Gellar quits). The story shapes are vaguer. One senses an endgame afoot.

Not that team Buffy isn't constantly striving for improvement. For instance, the writers have polished the show's excellent innovation on the classic fistfight. Most on-screen punches are the typical John Wayne type, accompanied by a sound "somewhere between the click of billiard balls and the crack of a rifle" (as Garry Wills observed). Buffy's fight scenes are post-Jackie Chan, and when she spikes a vamp, instead of spurting hackneyed horror gore, they say, "Dude, that sucks!" and vanish in a puff of dust. In recent episodes, the vampires briefly turn to skeletons before crumblinga nice touch.

Much about Buffy has gotten better since the first, no-budget shows, when they couldn't afford their own graveyard, and the show has suffered nothing like The Sopranos' falloff in quality. It still makes Sex and the City look sickly. Noxon's crew valiantly strives to fulfill Buffy's ambition: "I realize every slayer comes with an expiration mark on the package, but I want mine to be a long time from now, like a Cheeto." Buffy is still addictive.

But I've begun to doubt if she will ever be immortal again.

------------------
Tara: Trying to turn me on?

Willow: I have to try now?

I

xita
 


Slate Article: Buffy Slays. Now what?

Postby Unregistered(d) » Tue Mar 26, 2002 6:07 pm

twas an intelligently written article. and i agree in that i thought the 2 hour opener was lead footed (I thought the Angel premiere was much more tautly done and closer to previous Buffy standards).

still this stuff, especially as it mirrors my own feelings, leaves me feeling this ache of wistfulness for the first seasons.

thank joss for willow and tara (and the repartee of Xan and Anya) or I don't think I could watch. okay, i really should stop inviting the powers of murphy on me....

I

Unregistered(d)
 


Slate Article: Buffy Slays. Now what?

Postby Unregistered(d) » Tue Mar 26, 2002 6:08 pm

quote:
Originally posted by xita:
But Noxon is not Whedon. He admiringly called Noxon "the suicide girl," and death is certainly her gift. A melodramatist of genius, she plumbs emotional depths beyond her boss's ken. Yet she lacks his quicksilver touchhe wrote 90 percent of Speed, for God's sakeand the Buffy-back-from-the-dead episodes had a lead foot, demons who just went through the motions, and a seven-minute climax that should've taken two. Plus, she can't write a joke to save her life, nor Buffy's.

ooh, OUCH... poor marti

i have to say i think i agree with this writer in terms of the more recent seasons containing fewer archetypes that viewers can identify with. it's harder to identify with what's going on now than it was when the scoobies were in high school. the exceptions to this are the w/t relationship (and willow's current magic problem, which seems like a classic drug addiction metaphor), and, to some extent, dawn.

overall, a very interesting article, especially after seeing "the west wing" earn its second emmy for best drama on sunday night. i love the west wing, but last year buffy was clearly the better show. it's frustrating that for all the reasons mentioned above, emmy voters will never see that.


I

Unregistered(d)
 


Slate Article: Buffy Slays. Now what?

Postby Unregistered(d) » Tue Mar 26, 2002 6:09 pm

well... good article... not sure i agree with it all... but it's still a good article. thanks for typing it all up

------------------
"if you throw a stone, something's gonna shatter somewhere. We're all so fragile, we're all so scared."
nocturnal review site

I

Unregistered(d)
 


Slate Article: Buffy Slays. Now what?

Postby Unregistered(d) » Tue Mar 26, 2002 6:10 pm

My comments... some with spoilers....

Wow, great article... much better than mine LOL.

Not sure I totally agree with the Marti-bashing though. I have complete faith in Joss' decision to turn the reigns over the Marti.

When I would flip through the channels over the past few years and catch bits of eps I would be so lost, especially if I was tuning in late in the ep. Now, having watched almost every ep so far (thank god for downloads) I can still say that the eps take work to watch. The way the show is written is so complex that though there's a conclusion at the end, that doesn't mean the problem is solved. I love how Joss takes something that was just a causal mention from season's past and weaves it into something that becomes a major plot line. I mean, once Amy turned to a rat, they still kept her/rat around and would occassionally comment on her and now she's coming back.

Plus, look at how the Witchy Willow was slowly developed from, what? season 2? Now it's a major factor in things to come and has already played a vital role in season 5.

It is very unfortunate that the show has always been looked over at the Emmy's and that it has received low ratings, when shows like Xena were kicking major butt up and down the Neilson ratings. Don't get me wrong I'm a Hard-Core-Nutball Xenite myself (even have a Xena tattoo), but it did fall into the predictable realm. You knew that each week Xena and Gab were going to fight something and win and there would be a happy ending "Sap up the wrap up." But with Joss and Buffy, there's often no sap ups and you're often left with this... dare I say... hole missing because he's ripped something out of you as he drags the characters through the darkest aspects of our world. And though the demons make a regular appearance... even in times that may not be the best (like at the end of The Body... we really didn't need a vamp attack then... I think it took away from the heart-wrenchingness of the ep) they do stand for so many different things people face in their lives.

Yes, with a show called "Buffy The Vampire Slayer" your bound to get some snickers and sneers, but amazingly, that has lessened. I found out recently that my 50+ y.o. mother used to watch the show all the time (and she hardly ever watches any tv, to boot). The show must have something to it that will attract people from all walks of life and all age groups and now that Buffy if venturing into a dangerous area - from an entertainment biz POV - it's time to see how well the show handles everything. Now that it's time to grow up, the show needs to becareful not to fall into the same pitfalls that 90210, Melrose Place and other shows did when dealing with "adult" problems.

Okay, that's the end of my ramble LOL... thanks for sharing that great article Xita.

I

Unregistered(d)
 


Slate Article: Buffy Slays. Now what?

Postby Unregistered(d) » Tue Mar 26, 2002 6:12 pm

just copied and pasted

I

Unregistered(d)
 


Slate Article: Buffy Slays. Now what?

Postby Unregistered(d) » Tue Mar 26, 2002 6:13 pm

I gotta say, this season it's become very obvious to me that Joss has been spending more time on Angel. But season 6 has just started, and I know Joss has something planned to take our breath away, just lately i've noticed that Angel has been the stronger show this year writing wise. Not to say Buffy hasn't been great, even at it's least stellar it's incredible, it's just that Joss's touch has been missing from the episodes, and i [sniff] miss hiiiiim!

I

Unregistered(d)
 


Slate Article: Buffy Slays. Now what?

Postby Unregistered(d) » Tue Mar 26, 2002 6:14 pm

Interesting article. I don't agree that Marti can't write comedy, though - didn't she do 'Bewitched, Bothered & Bewildered'? One of the things I love about 'Buffy' is that you never know what's going to happen next - it's a show that constantly wrong-foots the viewer. The Buffyverse and the characters have evolved so much since the show began that there's no way it can be written off as a fluffy teen soap with added vampires - not that it ever really was, it's just that some people, the Emmy committee included, can't seem to cope with a show that doesn't fit into a neat formula. 'Buffy' is not a reassuring or comforting show to watch. That's why it's so much fun.

[This message has been edited by tyche (edited November 06, 2001).]

I

Unregistered(d)
 


Slate Article: Buffy Slays. Now what?

Postby Unregistered(d) » Tue Mar 26, 2002 6:15 pm

quote:
Originally posted by tyche:
'Buffy' is not a reassuring or comforting show to watch. That's why it's so much fun.

Agreed. I found some parts of this article somewhat disturbing though, I mean, we have to give Marti a chance to prove herself. I'm trying to be all nice here, but honestly, this new season has been different from the others. There's such a sense of despair in some of the characters; Buffy primarily, although I do believe that Willow will present some clear moments of unhappiness in future episodes.

I

Unregistered(d)
 


Slate Article: Buffy Slays. Now what?

Postby Unregistered(d) » Tue Mar 26, 2002 6:15 pm

I think season 6 six has been actually stronger than season 5 so far, ep by ep, and I thougth season 5 was only topped by season 3. So, I don't think the show has gotten worse at all, just a lot darke, which I happen to love. The only ep that has really sucked was life serial.. but that is my opinion and flooded kinda sucked too. I am no fan of the trio of losers. Season 4 was the absolute worse and I think that's when Joss started working on Angel. I also haven't like this season of Angel at all so far. Then I am no great fan of Angel the show but last season was better for Angel.

I

Unregistered(d)
 


Slate Article: Buffy Slays. Now what?

Postby Unregistered(d) » Tue Mar 26, 2002 6:16 pm

It's always all about the Initiative, isn't it Xita?

I

Unregistered(d)
 


Slate Article: Buffy Slays. Now what?

Postby Unregistered(d) » Tue Mar 26, 2002 6:16 pm

I agree that the second half of Bargaining was lead-footed and that the last 3 eps have not been quite up to snuff - maybe Marti has been in a learning curve, adjusting to a leadership role, and that has affected the quality. But I am confident that all will be good eventually and that Marti is strong enough to get out of the small slump the show is in and back on track with some great episodes.

I don't find myself pining for the good old days of the series, because I honestly believe that last season was the best yet, and that by the end of season six we will have seen something possibly even better.

Just personal preference, but I certainly don't consider Angel to be a higher quality show than Buffy this season. It's better than it was last season, but that's not saying much. Angel doesn't have the subtlety with it's metaphors and analogies that Buffy does - and without any lasting romantic relationships on the show, it is unable to explore the ups and downs of love in the way that Buffy can. A good show, though, nonetheless.

Even during a weak spell, Buffy is better than most anything else out there.

Overall, this was a great article and it made good mention of W/T, something that needs to be explored more in the media. I was hoping that, by now, there would have been a slew of serious articles about the W/T relationship in newspapers and magazines, but unfortunately there hasn't been.

I

Unregistered(d)
 


Slate Article: Buffy Slays. Now what?

Postby Unregistered(d) » Tue Mar 26, 2002 6:16 pm

quote:
Alyson Hannigan is the show's top acting talent

Damn right

Thanks xita, interesting article.

I

Unregistered(d)
 


Slate Article: Buffy Slays. Now what?

Postby Unregistered(d) » Tue Mar 26, 2002 6:17 pm

Every time I start to think Season 4 was the worst season, I remember that Season 4 gave us "Hush" and "This Year's Girl" and "Who Are You" and of course "New Moon Rising," among others that are among the best of the series. Maybe it was just the most [i:27a0ddd41f]uneven[/i:27a0ddd41f] season - although Season 2 would give it a run for its money there.

I didn't really see the article as saying Marti was bad at her job - only that she's [b:27a0ddd41f]different[/b:27a0ddd41f] from Joss. If you're expecting the rapid-fire zingers that Joss gave us in the first couple of seasons, then Marti's going to disappoint you - but then again, so would just about anybody else in the same job. Marti does what Marti does, and she does it well.

------------------
Remember the Kitten Board Mantra: "Joss is nuts about Tara, Willow/Tara and Amber!"

"No, it's okay. Lost is good. Willow and I always know how to find each other." - Tara to Anya, Bargaining, Part 2

I

Unregistered(d)
 


Slate Article: Buffy Slays. Now what?

Postby Unregistered(d) » Tue Mar 26, 2002 6:17 pm

That was a great article Xita, thanks for the heads up. I'm always trying to get my dad and sister to watch it, so intelligent, published articles I always send their way.

They can't get over what I couldn't get over initially, the first impression that the title gives. I thank my ex-roommate quite often for forcing me into watching it. It's scary to think I could be missing this season...to think I could have gone about my life's business not at all being able to participate in last season. It's scary to me.

Darin - you so succinctly put what's been a very important aspect of Buffy in my eyes down. Even at its worst, Buffy is by far the best.

[This message has been edited by Utena (edited November 06, 2001).]

I

Unregistered(d)
 


Slate Article: Buffy Slays. Now what?

Postby Unregistered(d) » Tue Mar 26, 2002 6:17 pm

Hmm,
I think this article is more than a little unfair to Marti. Actually, I'll go further and say that I think that much of the internet backlash against her (calling her Marti Noxious etc) is uncalled for.
For starters, there is no way that - as some do - I could blame Noxon for seasons four and five. Maybe Joss hasn't been investing as much time in Buffy as he once did, but I don't believe in the slightest that he didn't read over and approve every one of those scripts.
Though season four has been my least favourite so far, I haven't enjoyed Buffy as much as I am right now since season three. Maybe it's because I'm enjoying wallowing in all the gloom this year, whereas last year quite a portion of the season was just making me depressed. But not depressed in a happy way. I'm making no sense here, am I?
What I mean is, this year I'm not getting such a feeling of disconnection between me and the characters as I have done previously. I'm right there with them again. But, I'll admit, I would like to see some more happiness on this show. Just a smidge .

I

Unregistered(d)
 


Slate Article: Buffy Slays. Now what?

Postby Unregistered(d) » Tue Mar 26, 2002 6:18 pm

i don't agree with what this writer says about marti, either, plus i think the point is often missed that breaking the stories is a team effort and that joss is still very much involved. he may be as involved now as he was during season 4.

i really liked what he said about buffy being in its way more grown up that 'west wing' or 'er', both of which tend toward boring and predictable compared to buffy.

joss once said that people who couldn't get past the name probably wouldn't like the show anyway. most of the tv and movie audience want platitudes and happy endings.

i've always kind of liked that buffy flew a bit under the mainstream's radar because of the possibility that too much success could ruin it. i doubt that the writers on 'er' are free to do whatever they want, especially with all those million dollar per episode actors- none of whom are as talented as sarah or alyson. that's part of why it's so boring and predictable. (i stopped watching when i started feeling like they used the same plot every week.)

buffy has been successful enough to stay on the air this long and could easily last 10 seasons if they can keep the cast. maybe that's all they success they need.

I

Unregistered(d)
 


Slate Article: Buffy Slays. Now what?

Postby Unregistered(d) » Tue Mar 26, 2002 6:18 pm

quote:
Originally posted by fell:

buffy has been successful enough to stay on the air this long and could easily last 10 seasons if they can keep the cast. maybe that's all they success they need.

Only 10 years? Not nearly long enough! I suppose as an absolute bare minimum I could learn to live with that, but not 1 episode less than that.

------------------
Well, I like you. You're nice and you're funny and you don't smoke. Yeah, ok, werewolf. That's not all the time. I mean, 3 days out of the month I'm not much fun to be around either. Willow to Oz in "Phases".

I

Unregistered(d)
 


Slate Article: Buffy Slays. Now what?

Postby Unregistered(d) » Tue Mar 26, 2002 6:18 pm

PJ, I disagree. I rather see Marti's melodrama then Jane's evil troika.

I think Marti has a better handle on the relationships, it doens't mean she's writing all the eps but I do think she's got her finger on their emotional lives and that's always been the core of the show.

I

Unregistered(d)
 


Slate Article: Buffy Slays. Now what?

Postby Unregistered(d) » Tue Mar 26, 2002 6:18 pm

Very quickly -- I seem to remember reading that "Bewitched Bothered and Bewildered" was actually massively rewritten by Joss (someone cited that ep as an example of Marti possessing comic writing skills).

Marti's not Joss. Frankly, esp. after seeing the musical episode, I've always felt that Joss is head and shoulders above the rest of the writing team. It doesn't mean the other writers aren't talented and smart, but Joss is in a whole other league.


I am sure Joss is breaking the episodes and has mapped out his overall vision for this season and the next (and knows how he wants the show to end!) But I have never felt easy with him handing over the reins to Marti because I don't see a versatility and flexibility in her writing and vision that I do with Joss. And the success of BUFFY (for me) lies in its range and its depth -- that it can go to a dark place, deep into the heart of it, and that it can also play with so many different tones and textures and styles in single hour. Joss has an unconventional vision, a flair for the fantastical, and his mind seems capable of making huge seemingly random leaps. That's brilliance to me. I don't see this in Marti's episodes or any of the other writer's episodes. Like I said, I respect them individually and collectively, but I feel more confident when Joss is totally at the helm. I agree with others who have said that this show is still the best thing on TV.

I

Unregistered(d)
 


Slate Article: Buffy Slays. Now what?

Postby Unregistered(d) » Tue Mar 26, 2002 6:19 pm

I will first admit that I suffer from horrible pot smokers memory and don't have the recall ability--one, admittedly, that I admire--that several members of the board have. Nor do I tend to pay attention who is writing the episode or directing us into the emotional pits of hell.. But, alas, this is going to be my two lincoln coins on this topic..
I watched this show in the beginning(some where in season 2) because my roommate took control of the remote on Tuesday nights and he was a devout patron in the BTVS church.

Needless to say, season 4 got my attention more than anything because of the inclusion/addition of the W/T relationship. For a show I began to love and obsess about, this became the turning point in which I could actually RELATE to something going on(though, my ex was hairy, he never morphed into a Wolf at the turn of a full moon). I felt a personal investment in this show.

The first episodes of the past few seasons have always started things out slowly. Personally, I hated, "Anne" and "Deadmans Party" for season 3. Season 4 brought "The Freshman" and "Beer Bad" which I hate rewatching--though, I have to admit I do enjoy watching "Living Conditions" because of the Kathy character..and, hell, if you've ever lived w/an obnoxious roommate in college, you can relate to this one. Season 5 had "Buffy vs. Dracula" which just seemed silly and a copout to invoke THE vampires name.. This year, though many people thought it was uneven and dark, I definately enjoyed "Bargaining"..

But, just like these seasons started so horribly, they ended amazingly. We had "Graduation" "Restless" and "The Gift".. if this year goes along w/this pattern, I'm already beginning to prepare myself for what will play out on my TV in May.

This past weekend, the NYTimes magazine had an article discussing the why/how "The Simpsons" has lasted 12 seasons. They, too, had their ups and downs a few seasons ago--but, have regained their popularity and staying power. They've had their main writers/devolopers leave or take a lesser role and have endured. I believe that Buffy, which seems to be experiencing the same thing, will come out strong. But, mind you, one point the article made was that "The Simpsons" had an advantage because they didn't have to follow the 'traditional rules' that shows have to in order to survive--ie, adding a wacky neighbor, rearranging cast(if Buffy rearranged it's cast, it's because they KILLED off the character and not a case of the actor wanting to move on to something bigger), dealing w/a pregnancy or adding one, etc. We have seen the death and departure of several main characters--but, I think the Buffy way of handling this has been more realistic than other shows..and, because of that, it acts to strengthen the show and not diminish it's staying power.. Though, if someone else dies on this friggin show, I'm going on f-ing Paxil!
I will say that the show has disappointed me on some levels recently, but that's mostly because characters are developing and doing things that I cannot control. One of the pitfalls of being a spectator, I guess.
I have not been one to invoke the kitten mantra at all..but, dammit, I TRUST JOSS! and Marti and David and little Timmy in the well..

-Shannon

------------------
"Believe me I don't want to go,
And it'll grieve me 'cause I love you so
But we both know..."

I

Unregistered(d)
 


Slate Article: Buffy Slays. Now what?

Postby Unregistered(d) » Tue Mar 26, 2002 6:21 pm

Shannon, you big pothead, don't knock Paxil 'til you've tried it.

-Amy

I

Unregistered(d)
 


Slate Article: Buffy Slays. Now what?

Postby Unregistered(d) » Tue Mar 26, 2002 6:21 pm

quote:
Originally posted by Nouvelle:
Shannon, you big pothead, don't knock Paxil 'til you've tried it.

-Amy


Herbs a gift from the earth
and what's from the earth's of the greatest worth
Before you knock it
Try it first
Oh, you'll see it's a blessing
And it's not a curse

------------------
"Believe me I don't want to go,
And it'll grieve me 'cause I love you so
But we both know..."

I

Unregistered(d)
 


Slate Article: Buffy Slays. Now what?

Postby Unregistered(d) » Tue Mar 26, 2002 6:21 pm

Thanks for copying and pasting the article Xita

And I have to agree with Alyson Hannigan as the strongest acting talent. Although I think when SMG decides to call it a day that will be the end, I don't see Dawn taking over.

------------------
"I'm not really much for the timber"

I

Unregistered(d)
 


Slate Article: Buffy Slays. Now what?

Postby Unregistered(d) » Tue Mar 26, 2002 6:21 pm

quote:
"I realize every slayer comes with an expiration mark on the package, but I want mine to be a long time from now, like a Cheeto."

Hey was this line ever in an episode? Cause I am totally getting some deja vu in this. Maybe Marti has said it before or something?

------------------
For I am Dark Sheep Mysterioso. May all lesser sheep bow before me!
10/19/01: I danced at the Bronze! The lead singer of Virgil also complemented my neon green blouse.

I

Unregistered(d)
 


Slate Article: Buffy Slays. Now what?

Postby Unregistered(d) » Tue Mar 26, 2002 6:22 pm

I think that 'cheeto' line was in Prophesy Girl, the finale for season one.

I

Unregistered(d)
 


Return to Board index

Return to Other Backup

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 48 guests


Powered by phpBB The phpBB Group © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007
Style based on a Cosa Nostra Design